From the excellent book “CELEBRATING 50 YEARS – COLO VALE COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION INC.” one of three books compiled by Jeanette Schofield, it would appear that the first meeting of what was then the Colo Vale Progress Association, was held on 4th June, 1938 in the home of Mrs. Hannah at Aylmerton.
One of the first matters to be considered by the Progress Association was an offer by Mr. E. C. Bender on behalf of Mr. F. Bender, of a block of land in the village for the building of a community hall and to raise funds for same.
On 10th March 1939 Lot 7 Section 3 of DP 2944 situated in Railway Avenue, Colo Vale, was transferred by Mr. Ferdinand Bender to the Trustees of the Progress Association for the sum of ten shillings for the specific purpose of building a community hall.
This was the beginning of many years of fundraising in very difficult times. Plans were drawn up for the proposed hall by L. Kingsford Smith, Architectural Draughtsman, and dated 25th July 1939. This plan was to be the one used when the building was commenced 13 years later in 1952 and eventually completed in 1961.